Antisocial behaviour

We expect our tenants to behave with respect for others, to be a good neighbour and to be part of a thriving and supportive community.

Occasionally something goes wrong and neighbours can cause upset. If you're not able to resolve the issue peacefully, you may wish to contact us for further support. The easiest and quickest way to report Antisocial Behaviour (ASB) is to contact us.

What is ASB?

ASB is any action by a person which is likely to cause harassment, distress or alarm to people living in a different household to their own.

There are 3 main types of ASB:

  • Personal: When the action targets a specific person or group
  • Nuisance: When the action causes annoyance or suffering to a community
  • Environmental: When the action affects the public spaces or buildings.

Noise nuisance

Councils can investigate complaints of ‘Statutory Nuisance’ to tackle noise produced at any time; noise must do one of the following for councils to do so:

  • unreasonably and substantially interfere with the use or enjoyment of a home or other premises
  • injure health or be likely to injure health.

They may also issue warning notices in response to complaints about noise above permitted levels from 11pm to 7am.

You can report noise nuisance to your Council here.

Other types of ASB

These include:

  • Vehicle abandoned: Vehicles that appear to have been left by their owner.
  • Vehicle nuisance or inappropriate use: Acts such as street cruising (driving up and down the street causing annoyance), vehicle convoys and riding or driving on land other than a road.
  • Rowdy or Inconsiderate Behaviour: Nuisance behaviour in a public place or a place to which the public have access, such as private clubs. This does not include domestic-based behaviour.
  • Rowdy or Nuisance Neighbours: Rowdy behaviour or general nuisance caused by neighbours, including boundary and parking disputes. It also covers noise nuisance from parties or playing loud music.
  • Littering or Drugs Paraphernalia: Fly posting and discarding litter, rubbish or drugs paraphernalia in any public place.
  • Animal Problems: Animals creating a nuisance or people’s behaviour associated with the use of animals is deemed as antisocial.
  • Trespassing: Being on someone else's property without lawful authority or permission.
  • Nuisance calls: Communication by phone that causes anxiety and annoyance, including silent calls and intrusive ‘cold calling’ from businesses.
  • Street drinking: Unlicensed drinking in public spaces, where the behaviour of the persons involved is deemed as antisocial, including unplanned parties which encroach on the street.
  • Prostitution-Related Activity: Any activity involving prostitution and potentially activities in and around a brothel that impact on local residents.
  • Begging: Anyone begging in a public place, or encouraging a child to do so, without a license. Unlicensed ticket sellers at or near public transport hubs may also fall into this category.
  • Misuse of Fireworks: The unlawful sale, possession and inappropriate use of fireworks.

You can report any of these to your Housing Officer or Scheme Staff, or to our Service Hub. In many cases the best course of action is to call the police while the ASB is occurring.

The Police will be able to make a report to your Housing Officer or Scheme staff which will aid if any further action needs to be taken.

Close this GDPR cookie privacy notice

We use cookies on this website to provide you with a better online experience. If you continue, we'll assume you are OK with your web browser receiving our website's cookies. Our privacy policy explains how we use cookies.