Looking after your home

Looking after your home

Looking after your home

 Your Responsibilities

  • It is your responsibility to keep your home clean, tidy and healthy.  This includes decorating the inside of your home and taking care of shared areas.
  • If you, your family or visitors cause damage deliberately, recklessly or by neglect, you will be required to cover the cost of repairs.
  • You must allow our registered engineer into your home to service your gas appliances once a year. If you do not you are breaking your tenancy agreement and we will take out an injunction so that we can get into your home.


Our responsibilities

We are responsible for most repairs, including to the structure of the building.  We are also responsible for maintaining the gas, electricity and water services that we have fitted. 

We regularly clean, maintain and decorate communal entrances, corridors and staircases.  However if you, your family or visitors make a mess, it is up to you to clean it up. 


Looking after your garden

  • If you have a garden, you must maintain it and keep fences in good condition.
  • If you fail to look after your garden we may decide to do the work and charge you for doing it.
  • If you cannot look after your garden because you are disabled or ill, please talk to your scheme manager or customer liaison officer. They may be able to arrange some help for you.
  • If you want to put up a shed, greenhouse, lean-to or any other construction, you must first get written permission from your scheme manager or customer liaison officer.


Lodgers and subletting

A lodger is someone who lives with you and may pay rent to you. You can take in lodgers as long as your home does not become overcrowded.

A subtenant is someone who rents part of your home.  They share your facilities but can stop you from going into their part of your home.  You may sublet part of your home but not your whole home.

You need our written permission to take in a lodger or sublet part of your home.  Please tell us the name, age and sex of the lodger or subtenant and the part of your home they will live in.  We will then confirm in writing whether or not you may go ahead with this arrangement.  If you take in a lodger or subtenant without our permission you will be breaking the terms of your tenancy agreement.

We strongly recommend that you get advice from Citizens Advice, a solicitor or from us before you sublet part of your home.


Being away from your home

You must use your home as your main home.  If you are going to be away from you home for more than 28 days at a time, you must let us know so we can make sure you are still living there.  It is useful to give us a local contact number for someone we can contact while you are away, in case there is an emergency that affects your home.  If you do not tell us you will be away from your home, we may think you have abandoned it and take action to take if back and let it to someone else.


Running a business from your home

We recognise that many people want to work from home, whether working for their employer or running their own business.  If you want to work from home or run a business there, you must get our permission in writing first.  If you want to know more about running a business from your home, please contact your scheme manager or customer liaison officer.


Keeping a Pet

We recognise that pets can be a great source of love and companionship.  We do not want to stop you from keeping pets, but we feel that some homes are not suitable for keeping certain animals.  You need to get permission from us to keep a pet in your home and you should contact your scheme manager or customer liaison officer to discuss your request with them.



You are responsible for removing pests from your home or garden unless there is clear evidence that the pests are there because we have failed or neglected to do something.  If you would like advice about removing pests, please contact your scheme manager or housing officer.


Satellite dishes

If you want to put up a satellite dish you will need to get permission from us and the local authority.  Please contact your scheme manager or housing officer.